Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Irish Soda Bread

Ever since I was a young girl, I have loved to bake. I know it’s in my genes. My paternal grandmother was a baker (as much out of necessity as her love for baking). She would start baking in the middle of the night so my father could deliver her baked goods to folks early in the morning. That was one way to bring in additional income, along with selling her large, handmade quilts. 

When there is any special occasion, I start baking. For St. Patrick’s Day, I make Irish soda bread.

I’m a little early for St. Patrick’s Day. I decided to bake my Irish soda bread today because next week I’ll be working and there won’t be time to bake. (And I’m one of those people who likes to sleep during the night!) Bread freezes so well that it made sense to bake while I could. Then when the actual day arrives, I’ll be ready for it.

Never mind that it smells soooo good now and we are ready to dig in. No, no, we’ll be patient.

No comments:

Post a Comment