Thursday, March 24, 2011

The Chestnut-backed Chickadee

One of my very favorite birds is the chestnut-backed chickadee. I’m not even sure why it’s a favorite, but I think it has to do with its characteristics. It’s a little round bird that is very cute – in my opinion. True to its name, it has the coloring of chestnuts. It is a slightly smaller size than the black-capped chickadee. But there’s something else…

This is not a bird I grew up seeing. (Just like I don’t see any cardinals here, but do back east.) I’ve only seen it while living here, at our current Oregon location. To me it is unique. And like new babies, puppies, and kittens, it is adorable.

Admittedly, I’m hardly an experienced photographer. Trying to catch a photograph of any type of chickadee takes some patience I have discovered. Unlike finches, a chickadee comes to the feeder only for a moment to grab a seed; then flies off to eat it elsewhere.

Here is a picture of just one of those chestnut-backed chickadees. I’m glad I was able to capture one in a photo.

Cute, isn’t it?

No comments:

Post a Comment