Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Garden Update


After a computer virus that interrupted our lives, I’m pleased to be able to blog again.

For years I have harvested our garden produce, but this is the first year I have done everything – from the planning, to the planting of seeds, the maintenance, and finally, the harvesting. So gardening has become especially meaningful for me.

Here’s an update of how things are coming along:

Our strawberries are still coming on strong. They were a little later to start, as was everything.

The snap peas have been wonderfully delicious. And I found a really unique recipe in Sunset magazine that uses the pea shoots as the basis for a pesto. These will definitely be back in next year’s garden.

I’m starting to harvest the spaghetti squash now. This particular one went rogue on a zucchini plant. It’s doing well there anyway. As for the zucchini, we’ve had plenty and have shared some too.

Here’s a picture of the four o’clocks blooming. They were my surprise gift from the garden – something that sprung up from a previous year.

Finally, just outside our garden stands this pear tree. Quite a few pears are growing on it, and frankly, I’m a little surprised that the deer haven’t found them yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment