Tuesday, September 13, 2011

The Hazards of Blackberry Picking


Today our weather has cooled and there was drizzle this morning. That got me to thinking that I had better check on the blackberries.

Like everything else this summer, the blackberries are later in ripening. We have not picked many yet. So I grabbed a container and headed for our very large blackberry bush.

It has been a few years since I did any of the blackberry picking. I expected the scratches from the thorns, and the stained fingers. No big deal.

What was a surprise to me was this threatening-looking spider. Now that made me look extra-carefully at where my hand was heading. (I steered clear of that area.)

There were lots of berries out of my reach, I’m sorry to say. Besides, when you lean in to reach, your clothing gets snagged and it can be hard to back away.

Another surprise was realizing I need to watch where I step. You know I love the deer, but with deer comes deer poop.

Because it was a cool day, I didn’t have to contend with the yellow jackets. Otherwise, I never would have picked blackberries in mid-afternoon.

And it was all worth it. Here are just some of the beautiful berries we’ll be enjoying. Can’t wait to make blackberry jam.


No comments:

Post a Comment