Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Nesting Swallows

When I am at the kitchen sink this is my view – a wonderful old oak tree with the tire swing hanging from it and a nest box nailed to it.
For many springs now, we have had swallows nest in that box. While I do dishes in the spring and summer, I observe a pair of violet-green swallows swooping in with nesting material to prepare the nest box, and then I watch as they circle and dive, fetching bugs from mid-air to feed their young.

This afternoon I decided to check it out. I walked quietly up to the nest box and turned one ear to hear – there were lots of little “cheeps” to be heard – and then I plunked myself down on the grass, maybe six feet away, to get a picture.

Well, Mom and Dad swallow did not like that. I was far too close for their comfort. Here you can see them checking me out. (Can’t say I blame them!)

So I backed off a bit. Seemed only fair. That allowed me to get a snapshot of one of the parents emerging after a quick feeding. And they are quick about the whole business.

With all this activity going on I don’t even mind doing the dishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment